with Marika Hart
Pregnancy is such an exciting time and West Coast Health and High Performance pregnancy classes are the perfect place for women who want to:
- Exercise with other pregnant women in a fun and social environment
- Learn tools to help achieve a more positive birth experience
- Work on core muscles, posture and flexibility
- Learn relaxation tools that can help in life and labour
- Listen to local experts in the fields of maternal and child health
- Exercise under the supervision of an experienced physiotherapist because they have low back or pelvic pain
Each 60 minute class consists of:
15 minutes of education
The topic changes weekly and can include exercise postnatally, positioning for an active birth, the role of environment in birth, stages of labour, musculoskeletal problems in pregnancy. Many women feel that this education component helped prepare them mentally for the birth process and gave them information on how to seek help when needed.
45 minutes of exercise
This changes weekly but could include some matwork mobility work, strength training with light weights, stretches for the spine, pelvic floor and deep abdominal muscle strengthening, as well as moderate-intensity cardio. No experience necessary!
All exercises are modified to take into account the different stages of pregnancy and any musculoskeletal issues you might have.
Please be aware that if you wish to claim classes on your health insurance, then an initial assessment with a Physiotherapist is required prior to participation in classes. Please contact us for more information.
Conducted by a physiotherapist with over 15 years of experience, these pregnancy pilates classes provide so much more than standard antenatal exercise classes. The classes are charged at $35 (PAYG) or $150 for a 5-week pass.
(This may be as little as $15 per class, depending on your health insurance rebate).